In a recently-held press conference at the Dubai Police General HQ, HE Major General Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri, Commander-in-chief, revealed the force's newest addition; the autonomous police patrol. HE Al Marri said the driverless Police Patrol would feature the latest technologies such as face recognition, live broadcasting to the operation room, and can facilitate voice calls and interactions between the force and members of public.
HE Al Marri added that the self-driving Police Patrol is capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input, and can also pursue criminals and suspects.
About the O-R3:
Powered by an advanced machine learning algorithm and 3D SLAM technology, the O-R3 navigates its surroundings perceptively.
With profound situation discernment and intuitive environment orientation, O-R3 detects anomalies, avoids obstacles, and self charges when its energy is running out.
Features of the autonomous patrol car:
- Varied Cameras: With an array of cameras that serve specialised functions in the likes of thermal imaging, facial and license plate recognition, stereo photography and more, O-R3 is able to capture and access a wide range of data.
- Highly Precise Sensors: O-R3 is equipped with numerous 3D and 2D laser scanners, IMU and ultrasonic sensors, GPS, long range data transmitters and more, that enables the most granular of data to be collected.
- Intelligent Data Combination: Through sensor fusion technology, O-R3 intelligently crunches huge chunks of data at top speed that gives it acute scene understanding, for performance of human-like actions such as obstacle avoidance and anomaly detection, at machine efficacy.
- Incoming Real-Time Alerts: Typically overseen by skilled human security personnel, the fleet control centre functions as the central communication system where all alerts from O-R3 are received.
- Human-Robot Collaboration: With real-time alerts from O-R3 displayed visually on the dashboard, human security personnel are able to act instantly to prevent or stop crime.
- Manual Takeover: Humans are ultimately still in control. Here, authorised security personnel can override the O-R3 and manually manoeuvre its movements when necessary.
- 360 Degree Surveillance Scope: O-R3's UGV-UAV collaborative surveillance system ensures a thorough sweep of designated premises that leaves no blind spots unchecked.
- 24/7 Patrol and Protection: With self-charging capability, the O-R3 never runs flat and operates at consistent efficiency, 24/7.
- Fulfils Undesirable, Uninspiring Jobs: Equipped with superior technology that augments human capabilities, O-R3 performs routine tasks with machine efficacy and leaves human guards to high value ones.
- Ease of Setup and Deployment: O-R3 needs no prior training. Built with advanced Artificial Intelligence, all is required to get started is a one-time setup of the fleet control centre.
- Increases Productivity: No off days, medical leave, and breaks in between. O-R3 performs its security duties with machine driven efficiency, 24/7, 365.
- Constant Presence: In an industry plagued with high turnover, O-R3 ensures fulfilment of 24/7 security shifts that keeps premises secure at all times and reduces the reliance on human guards.
It is anticipated that the the autonomous patrol car will be on Dubai streets by year end.
For more see Autonomous Vehicles Land, Water, Air 2017-2037
Source and top image: Dubai Police
Learn more at the next leading event on the topic: Energy Independent Electric Vehicles 2017 on 27 - 28 Sep 2017 in TU Delft, Delft, Netherlands hosted by IDTechEx.